THE IMPACT OF MANPOWER TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME ON EMPLOYEES OF FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC NEKEDE OWERRI
Table Of ContentsCHAPTER ONE:
1.1 Background Of The Study
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
1.4 Research Question
1.5 Significance Of The Study
1.6 Scope Of The Study
1.7 Limitation Of The Study
1.8 Definition Of Major Terms
2.0 LITERATURE REVIEW
2.2 Concept Of Training And Development
2.3 Types Of Training
2.4 Steps In Training And Development
2.5 Models Of Training And Development
2.6 Importance Of Training And Development
2.7 Summary Of The Chapter
3.0 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3.2 Research Design
3.3 Sources Of Data
3.4 Population Of The Study And Sample Size
3.5 Sample Techniques
3.6validity And Reliability Of Measuring Instrument
3.7 Method Of Data Analysis
4.0 DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
4.2 Presentation Of Data
4.3 Analysis Of Data
4.4 Interpretation Of Result
5.0 SUMMARY OF FINDINGS, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
5.2 Summary Of Findings
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Training and development is very essential to very employee for effective performance in the achievement of an organization set goal and objectives.
The operation of all organization whether large medium or small competent personnel’s.
Organization effort and training an employee aid the employee to acquire the skill resulted to the execution of the function for which he or her or she was employed, as individual join an organization or begin a new job, they bring with them teor own exception desire motive prejudices beliefs skill values assumption, steer as types and creaser idiosyncrasies, as well as other types of behavior.
Training generally is intended to reduce this individual differences experience that will help people to perform in one effectively in their present or future jobs.
According to Bottomly (1988), training is seen as the acquisition of skills and knowledge relevant to job performance.
Training described as those activities, which are designed to improve performance on the job, Weney and Lathan (1981), defined training as a planned effort by an organization of facilitates on the part of it’s employee the aim of training is to either introduce new behavior or modify the existing behavior so that a particular and identified kind of behavior will result (Nadler 1970), development on it’s own as defined by Akanwa (1997:32), is one ability to understand and interprets knowledge rather than importance a body of serial facts, development is therefore concern with employees personal growth manager can develop skill like good listening ability to read and analyze, ( that is acquisitions of skills) it fasters the manager analytical and conceptual abilities it is composed of activities concerned with enhancing the capability of the employee for continuing growth in the organization the purpose or enhance an employee responsibilities with relative efficiency and effectiveness. it deals with activities undertaken to expose an employee to position of importance in an organizational hierarchy from the definition above, we have seen what training and development which is the actually the efficient of organization goals, the need of training and development manpower can be referred to in the case of industrialized country which have attain high level of organizationalized and technological advancement despite their mineral and natural resources (Nwachukwu 1988:129) which the above expectation it has been clearly show that the largely determined by the quality of the country’s work force the availability of training managers technical and other categories of skilled personnel’s posing locational and technical knowledge to understand efficient production and administration activities.
Since independence Nigeria has made considerable progress in training of intermediate and high level of man power, however we still need to improve more upon these as there has always been high demand for these categories of workers by both the government and industrial. The Nigeria government plan cognized these facts which place recognized these facts which place greater responsibilities on employing institution to training more Nigeria.
Nigeria another national development plan on discussed on the urgent need employee an increasing number on skilled personnel’s to ensure a smart development of the country.
(ojo 1986) Nigeria has made recent effort to increase the effort of training personnel’s and also to facilitate the expansion facilities in the universities and colleges of education for training senior and middle level of man power, there some training bodies that in charge of all these lily Nigeria institute of management, the industries raining fund, the centre for management development and administration staff college of development programmes.
Upon all the positive measure taken y the government to encourage national indigenous man power development and utilization , it’s skill not encouraging (ojo1986:152) a conducted study in Nigeria y international labour office to developing county pay little or no attention to the vocational and almost non to training of employees after employment conducted studies by (Ojo 1986:157) Vesufu (1968). The dynamic nature of these societies made job to respond to respond to constract environment change and in the situation there is need for skill and adoption to change in the industrial structure the employing institution and non challant attitude towards training and development programme leads to further research into the question in relevance of training and development programmes.
1.1 HISTORY OF THE CASE STUDY
The Federal Polytechnic, Nekede Owerri started in 19978 as a college of Technology, Owerri . It was established by the imo state government through edit no. 16 of April 1978. It took of at temporary site at the premises of government technical college (GTC), Owerri along egbu road in the same year.
In 1981, the institution moved to its present and permanent located in nekede, Owerri.
By imo state government edit no. 6 of 1987, the name of the institution was changed to, the polytechnic nekede Owerri.
Six year after, and precisely on 7th April, 1993, the fdereal government institution. Consequently it was again renamed “ the Federal Polytechnic Nekede owerri,
Functions Of The Polytechnic
The federal polytechnic nekede Owerri is requested by federal polytechnic (CAP 139) of 1979. The functions of the polytechnic as provided for in section 2(1) of the act are as follows:
a. To provide full-time or port-time courses on instruction and training.
i. In technology, applied science commerce an management
ii. In such other fields of applied learning relevant to the needs of the development of Nigeria in the areas of industrial and agricultural production of distribution and for research in the development and adaption of techniques at the council may from time to determine.
b. To arrange conference, seminar and study groups relatives to the fields learning specified in paragraph (a) of this subsection (1)
c. To perform such functions as in opinion of the council may serve to promote the objectives of the polytechnic conscious of the objectives for which the polytechnic was established , it adopted the motto” knowledge and skill for service” right from it’s inception in 1978 . it has vigorously pursued objective
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The study “the impact of training and development on employee job performance” attempts to emphasis on the need for employee training and development in Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri because of this, management spends as much as they can to the course of training and development of employee.
The problem due to this research states that does employee training and development affect their job performance in an organization.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
1. Identify the extent to which training and development programmes have help to improve the employee job satisfaction.
2. Find out the adverse effect of not giving the employees training and development.
3. Determine the various ways in which an organization can train and develop it’s employees.
4. Know whether training and development affect employee’s performance in any way.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
This research work seeks to answer the following questions.
1. What extent does training and development help to improve employee job satisfaction?
2. What are the adverse effects of not giving the employees training and developing employees in an organization?
3. How does organization train and develop employees in various ways?
4. Does training and development affect employees performance?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This research work is aimed at serving certain significance in relation to individual, group of individual or a particular event
1. Employees: employees will benefit from this study in the sense that it will help them o know the important of being trained to acquire knowledge and job skills, which will increase their marked value.
2. Management: management of organization will also benefit from this study as it will enable tem to know the suitable training and development strategies/methods that will be given to employees in order to make them efficient and productive.
3. Students/other researchers: this study ill be beneficial to student and other researcher as it will help them to know were about training and development of employees.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research work is limited to the impact of training and development on employee performance in an organization only using Federal Polytechnic Nekede as the case study.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study was greatly affected by certain constraints which becomes unavoidable within the ime link.
1. Time constraints: the research was constrained by time limits. This posed a threat to the successful coverage intended in course of this study.
2. Finance cost factor: it is not usual that the prevailing economic predicarrent posed to a great extent a problem in procuring the whole material information needed for this research.
1.8 DEFINITION OF MAJOR TERMS
1. Apprenticeship: careful work experiences that are sequenced and graded which allows the training to more fom simple desk to more complex job.
2. Class room instruction: method of training whereby an employee takes a corresponding course in a nearly school or some time employee can persuade a school to offer special course tail lord to the need of the company.
3. Development: is the improvement of skills and abilities of employees in the organization in order to prepare them for tasks ahead.
4. Filed trips: organized observational experience outside the work place sor stipulated set objectives.
5. Induction training: method in which newly recruited employees are introduced to their jobs and fellow workers
6. Jo rotation: a situation where employee given the opportunities to gain experience on the specific job.
7. Man power: this referred to as the human resource or resource of the organization.
8. Off the job training: this is the type of training covering ll other training programmes other than those conducted will on the job. This type of training is conducted outside the work place.
9. Performance appraisal: this is the process where by a manager evaluates the performance of his subordinates of assessing their character and attitude towards their work and past performance on the job.
10. Training: training cab ne defined as the acquisition of skills and knowledge relevant to the job o be done