DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF A LOW VOLTAGE (± 15 VOLTS) POWER SUPPLY UNIT
A low voltage power supply is an electrical apparatus that provides emergency power to load when input source, typically the main source power fails. It provides near-instantaneous protection from input power interruptions by supplying energy stored in batteries.
The disturbances which normally occur in commercial supply are as follows:
- Transients – occur due to lightning, switching of power network which may result in instantaneous rise ofvoltage.
- Momentary over- and under- voltage which may be due to large changes of loads in powersystems.
- Generation of harmonics or distortion ofwaveforms.
- Electromagnetic interference (EMI) or Radio frequency interference (RFI) or noise are introduced in the supply line due to lighting, power network switching, continuous switching by some equipment like staticinverters.
The uninterruptible power supply (UPS) is the best solution to power conditioning for critical loads, such as real-time data processing computers, air route traffic, control centers, industrial process control system because they are very sensitive to the nature of power supply for their operation, protection of the equipment and continuity of a process or transfer of information.
To eliminate the problem of power outages and data loss by maintaining power to the critical loads. To try and reduce or eliminate the whole process of double conversion method of accepting AC, rectifying to DC for passing through the rechargeable battery, then inverting back to AC for powering equipment.
Thus the objectives from the problem statement are:
- To investigate the viability of and analyze relative power conception of a system to supply DC power directly to selected electronic devices commonly connected to the main supply for operation.
- To protect the critical loads from power interruptions.
- To analyze a complete circuit design.
- To make comparison between simulation & experimental result.
This project entails the following:
- Developing a circuitry that shows how to implement an uninterrupted DC power supply.
- Designing a circuit that incorporates all the key components required in the design of aUPS.
- Comparison between results of experimental & hardware is used for analysis &verification.
To analyze and test showing that many ac units can operate from dc without modification making it possible to apply DC ups for existing computers specially designed for dcoperation.
GET MORE INFORMATION ON PHYSICS PROJECT TOPICS AND MATERIALS ;power supply design calculations for 12v,power supply design pdf,variable voltage and current power supply circuit,how to design a power supply with calculations,regulated power supply design calculations,0-12v variable power supply circuit diagram,0-30v variable power supply circuit diagram,linear power supply design pdf